Thursday, June 12, 2014

Ft Pickens
The gang in front of Ft Pickens. This fort was occupied by
Northern troops during the Civil War. The confederacy occupied Ft Barrancas on Pensacola. They traded fire for many days without injuring or killing anyone as both forts could not be penetrated by the others cannon fire. The only deaths in this fort was from a gun drill that resulted in a powder magazine catching fire and exploding killing a few soldiers. It did however throw bricks off the fort five miles away. Marion and I found some of these bricks in the waters off Pensacola NAS and returned them to rangers at Ft Barrancas during our last visit here.

I am sorry that there are not many pics but I am having trouble with the swine computer flipping them upside down and not allowing me to correct them. It is driving me nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment