Friday, August 1, 2014

 Here we are the first day on the Metro subway heading for downtown DC for our tour. Not having any experience with subways, we were surprised at the speed this thing travels at. It took only fifteen minutes to get downtown. That thing really hauls the mail.
 This is the view we were greeted with coming out of the subway. It let us off in front of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The building surprised us because not only is it very old and powerful looking. I think the people who designed and built it, built it for people 4 foot 4 and skinny as heck. You could not fit two people through the doors at the same time if you had to. We also ate lunch in the cafeteria of this building. It was cafeteria style serving like a buffet at the cost of $6.35 a pound for what you put on your plate. As you also can also see the Washington Monument peered over the building. We visited that after lunch.
 We spent the majority of the morning in the Holocaust Museum. There are no pictures as none were allowed inside. Sorry. It was an eye opener for those who never have seen this. It was quite graphic, unlike the stuff you see on TV in documentaries. I think they would be farther ahead if they would allow this kind of Graphic on TV and then people can see it is not a lie.
 We are across the street from the Washington Monument. We had to take this picture there because if we took it up close we would not get the entire height in the picture. There was an absolute mob on the site itself and strangely enough there were more people there who did not speak English. The people I heard the most were from Europe.
 I tried real hard to get an interesting pic of the Monument with the flag in it but didn't do a very good job. This is why I had to keep my day job. I would have starved as a photographer.
 Here is a picture of the White House from the Monument. We still haven't visited this place. Will probably do so sometime next week. We are also planning a night visit to the Monument area.
 This is a good picture facing the Lincoln Memorial from the WWII Memorial. The WWII memorial was very impressive. I can't understand why this administration closed this memorial during the government shut down as it is completely exposed between the reflection pool and the Washington Monument. The only reason I can see why they closed it was to irritate as many people as they could for political reasons to make Americans they disagreed with, namely republicans, look bad and also make them scapegoats.
 I occasionally get in the picture now and then. I couldn't resist the next one. it is a shame I didn't get it completely done right. Oh Well!!!!!!!!!!
 This picture is out of order because I think this was taken from the Washington Monument. I am not sure though. The Capitol building is the one we will visit next week.
 Here is Marion standing in front of the WWII memorial dedicated to North Dakota. There were pillars for every state and territories that were governed at the time by the U.S. like Samoa.


 Here is our little visitor from the trees lining the reflection pool. I take it she was a she as she lacks male parts. She and the little bird to the right were competing for attention and handouts. Both would come right up to you. Where is Trixie when you need her. She would have loved to get this close.
 This was taken just beyond the WWII monument along the reflection pool. Every time I see this pool I think of Forest Gump. As you can see on the steps of the monument there is an absolute mob of people. We were hoping they would thin out by the time we got there, but it was worse by the time we arrived.
 There were so many people on the steps it was like playing bumper cars getting to the top. What you can't quite see is all the people just out of sight on the landing.
 I finally did get inside to get a picture of the Lincoln statue but I had to wiggle my way through tons of people. But I didn't give up.
There was a terrific mural on the wall near the ceiling but I couldn't get all of it. I am sure this one drives the atheist's nuts.
 This is the view from the top of the steps of the Lincoln Memorial toward the Washington Monument via the reflection pool. I think this was the view envisioned when the pool was  thought of.
 This is the entrance to the Vietnam Monument. I was extremely disappointed with this monument. It is so understated and makes me feel unappreciated.
 It looks like a ditch with a black marble wall with names etched in it. How sad. The two monuments in this area that are like this, as being understated, are the Vietnam and Korean war memorials. Sounds too coincidental  as these are the two wars that we did not win. It seems as though Americans seem to only pay lip service to their appreciation for the sacrifices of these soldier, sailors, and airmen in these conflicts. I wonder if those who died and served in the last few conflicts will receive any recognition. Sad
 As you can tell I was not very happy about this monument. I guess I should be appreciative anyway. I can remember being  chased by hippy protesters in Rantoul Ill. who tried to start a fight with me when I was a young airman then getting spit on at O'Hare Airport and called foul names as I traversed the airport in uniform. So I guess you can see why the monument was not a satisfactory experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment