Sunday, July 20, 2014

 We arrived at our campground, Outdoor World, in Williamsburg VA. Somewhat a disappointment. Horribly crowded and real tight to move around in. It took almost an hour to get parked and we caused a lot of congestion getting settled. It will also be the same challenge getting out of here. Myron and Karen are behind us and are in only one of three spots without cable and the direct tv dish will not pick up because of the trees. We also have no tv but we can hook up to cable if we want for a daily charge. NOT!!!!!!!!!
 We decided to make the best of it so the first day we went to Hampton VA. I was stationed here in the late 70's at Langley AFB. We went to our old townhouse and visited Ron's first school located across the street from the townhouse. He went to kindergarten here. He was not here a full year as I was only here 10 months.
 Here is the old town house. The most memorable thing about this place was the fact that it was full of Navy families. When the fleet went out many of the families went to their homes away from here and it was pretty deserted. The attics in this place had no barriers between townhouses which I didn't know about until we were about to depart. You could literally crawl from townhouse to townhouse through the attic. Scary!!!!!!!!!!
 This was the hospital I was stationed at. It has since been renovated. As I remember it, it was a few stories higher and it looked like the finish Wilford Hall had back in the early seventies, kind of stucco looking.
 The entrance to the clinic I ran has survived. The clinic windows can be seen here. It was a pediatric clinic. I remember my first day. I arrived at 6:45 a.m. and the entrance you see here was packed to the max with people with sick kids. I couldn't even get to the clinic door. I had to go further down the hall to the OBGYN clinic to get in through the back. When I opened the door it was like a Walmart Christmas rush and I got stampeded. These women were serious. I learned the first day that there was no appointment system and it was first come first served. Suicide for sure. It took me a few months to convince the powers to be to set up a appointment system. After that I left the base.
 This is the Chesapeake bay that the base is bordered by on nearly three sides. There were days that it was not pleasant. Some days the air hung like stale fishy salt smell.
 This is the saddle club that we had Marions horse Star stabled at. We also had a pony named Tonka for Ron but we couldn't get him to have any interest in riding.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment